Writing, My Works, and Knowing the Soul

Whenever someone hears that I like to write, they invariably ask what I'm working on right now.  The truth is, I am always working on something.  In my mind I always have a piece of a story going on, the idea of a character, or perhaps just a vague feeling I am trying to flesh out.  I have started to write probably a hundred different stories, but most I will never finish.

A new idea is like a spark.  It needs good tinder to get bigger and develop, and constant fuel to keep it going.  Early on it can be easily snuffed out, and sometimes that just means that nothing ever comes of it.  Some ideas start strong, but once I get into them, I even grow bored with the story and set it aside.  A few ideas become all consuming and it becomes a compulsion to write.

I find my best stories, aren't ones I force, but ones I let come to me.  I feel less like an author in that I develop the story, but more a reporter just putting to paper a story that already exists out there.  By the end of writing something, I become so familiar with my characters they feel like real people.  I get lost in the scenery I've created in my mind and it's like a familiar movie I watch over and over again.

I also get asked, what book is your favorite?  I'm sure you already know what I'll say to this, everything I've written is my work so I love it all.  Some pieces turn out better than others in some ways, but some I enjoy for reasons that are hard to describe.  I always freeze up on this question as it's really up to you the reader, what appeals to you more?  I won't be hurt, you can like one piece more than another.

I was watching WestWorld recently, and it made me dream.  Imagine having an entire theme park to dedicate to your own inner stories.  To express to the world feelings and thoughts that can never be properly summed up in words.  In every book you read, the author reveals pieces of themselves to the readers.  Whether a love of gardening, a fondness for a certain sibling, or a favorite place to travel.  If you read an author enough, you begin to understand things about them, you never would from just speaking with them.  The arts are never truly good, unless the artist is baring part of his soul through it.  Only in that raw exposition can you truly understand a piece of a person, in a way that is completely unmatched through any other form of human interaction.

Comments

Popular Posts